Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Beginning....

So really, the beginning was actually two months ago... graduation. With shiny new diploma in hand, I embarked on the quest to find my first job as a newly qualified elementary school teacher. Thus far, the journey has been full of ups and downs, but suffice to say, I have yet to sign a contract.


As of this time I have applied for more than 75 jobs, and attended a state job fair. I have had 18 "thanks but no thanks" emails, and 3 interviews, 2 job offers, which leaves 54 applications floating in limbo. Hmmm... Most frustrating is the application process of one county. The whole thing is web based only. The online application doesn't let you add letters of recommendation, a resume, cover letter, details of any individual achievements etc. It's purely education and work history. In addition, you are given the following information as you apply: "We respectfully request that you refrain from contacting principals directly.", so no ability to email or drop off resumes.

How do I get on the interview list? All that principals see is the standard form with qualifications and experience, both of which in my case are not too shabby. Far from it in fact, yet I'm struggling to get an interview. So the question is, how do you stand out in this system? Any ideas? I'm bamboozled.


To keep myself from going a tad stir crazy throughout this process, I've been busily reading, researching, creating, making, organizing and planning. Though I have no idea in what grade, school, or district I'll end up, I figure I can use this time to best organize myself for any eventuality. As well as detailing my job search, in this blog I'll be posting about new ideas and creative projects as I stumble across them.

Sending positive vibes out there to everyone on the job hunt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment