Saturday, July 2, 2011

Daily 5... Is This What I've Been Looking For?

During my internship in first grade, one aspect of the structure of the day which frustrated me was the literacy block. With a state mandated 90 minute reading block followed by a 30 intervention/enrichment block, I followed my wonderful cooperating teacher's schedule of 1 hour whole group instruction, followed by 30 minutes of literacy centers.

I tried several approaches to the structure of the literacy centers - homogenous grouping with scheduled  groups for guided reading, heterogeneous groups with homogenous pull put groups for guided reading etc. Yet, I never felt I quite achieved the balance that I was searching for. additionally, I found the creation of the weekly literacy centers to be extremely time consuming, taking more organization and planning (not to mention grading) than most of the rest of the day/week combined. So I was determined to use this summer to research a little and find many different strategies and approaches to literacy centers. I recognize however, that it is ultimately the students which will determine which approach is best, yet I feel the more informed I can be in advance, the better instructional decisions I can make when I finally have my class.

One approach I recall from my language arts class at college, was inspired by the 2 sisters and their Daily 5 approach. Wanting to refresh my memory of this I purchased their book and plunged in. Hands down, I have never read a professional book so quickly, and throughly in my life. From the introduction, I knew that this approach was borne out of the same fructrations I experienced, and the same desire to make literacy centers the most effective learning experinces possible.

Next post, I'll go into a little more detail. At the moment - 1 ♥ Daily 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment