Sunday, July 17, 2011

The unknown... arg! A little retail therapy to help..

The last few weeks have been a real roller coaster. Things are finally happening but certainly not as smoothly or exactly in the direction I had imagined. Suffice to say, I still have not yet signed a contract. Hopefully this week, that might change. Fingers crossed!

Unable to further effectively plan, (given I have no idea where I'm going to end up and have just about organized every generic, non-grade specific facet of my future classroom three times over) I am attempting to keep my mind off the current whirlwind of emotions, and so have turned to shopping - fortunately, given my lack of a permanent post, shopping via couponing. Having watched the shows, I've always thought that it looked like fun, but who has the time? A part-time employed graduate student, that's who. Hence, my new endeavors.

Other than the odd free nail polish or smoothie, I hadn't until now really gone on an extreme couponing expedition. With so many back to school offers out at the moment it seemed a perfect opportunity to get my feet wet. Taking in Office Depot, Staples, Target, and Walgreens here is the result of my first haul.



STAPLES
Paper: $6.99 per ream, on sale for $5.99, $4.99 mail in rebate. TOTAL = $2 for 2 reams

OFFICE DEPOT

Pop-Up Tape Dispensers: $3.99 each, accidentally stocked in the dollar section therefore $1 each, $1 off one manufacturer's coupon. TOTAL = FREE for 3 dispensers

WALGREEN'S

Papermate mechanical pencils 5 pack: on sale for 19c. TOTAL = 19c for 1 pack
Milka Chocolate: On sale 2 for $2, $1 off 2 bars Walgreen's coupon, $1 off 1 bar manufacturer's coupon. TOTAL = FREE for 2 bars


TARGET
Scotch Magic Tape: on sale for 50c, 50c off Target coupon. TOTAL = FREE for 2 dispensers
Sharpie Markers 2 pack: on sale for $1, $1 off 1 Target coupon. TOTAL = FREE for 1 pack

Bic Pens 10 pack: on sale for $1, $1 off 2 manufacturer's coupon. TOTAL = FREE for 2 packs

Papermate Pens 10 pack: on sale for $1, $1 off 1 pack Target coupon. TOTAL = FREE for 2 packs
Wonka Bar: $2.09, free Wonka bar coupon prints after purchase, and will keep printing of I go back for another and another etc, lol. TOTAL = depends on how many times I go back lol!
Post-it Tabs 24 pack: $3.89 per pack, $2 off 1 manufacturer's coupon, 75c off 1 Target coupon. TOTAL = $2.28 for 2 packs


OVERALL TOTAL = $4.47!!!

I also, found a bargain at Target. Though it was an impulse buy, I had a coupon with me and combined with the clearance pice, it was too good to pass up! Command Hooks 4 pack: $5.69 per pack, on sale for $3.98, $1 off 1 manufacturer's coupon. TOTAL = $8.94 for 3 packs

Not too shabby for a first time around!

2 comments:

  1. Shopping for school supplies can be so much fun! =)

    You have left us hanging....Did you get a job? What grade?

    I am following you now and want to know these things!!!!! =)

    I would love for you to visit me when you get the chance. I am a 1st grade teacher and have oodles and oodles of *freebies*!

    You can also read about Conscious Discipline which is the most amazing thing I have ever learned! It is all about building the School Family AND it can help end tattling! =)

    I hope your first year has been great! =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather!

    I did get a job in first! I enjoyed my first year and am now in my second, but this year in K!

    ReplyDelete